Wednesday 14 May 2014

Your Driving Licence could be ripped up within the first 2 years.

The 2 year probation, is it really fair?

Hey I’ve come to the end of my 2 years driving probation. The authorities backed up by the arguments of those who wanted to put a spanner in the works of so called boy racers and anybody else that wants to drive in a way that’ll put them at odds with the law of the roads as they stand or are just plain inexperienced or anything else, decreed that from 1997 that anyone who passes their driving test doesn’t just get to think, “oh that’s it now I can drive, time to put that test nightmare behind me”, instead they have to live in fear of amassing what in most cases would be just TWO driving offences for fear of having their whole driving licence revoked and having to actually start again as a learner with all the L Plates and going out with somebody in the car, taking the theory test again and having to try and pass the driving test again as well.

Because if in 2 years, a “new driver” gets 6 points, their licence is actually ripped up. This for me meant that I never fully felt confident in the roads for 2 years, because if I misjudged my speed and got nicked for a speeding offence anywhere, I would only have to do that once more and it would be curtains for my licence, the same would apply if I misjudged some traffic lights somewhere and was unfortunate enough to get a red light camera offence. And points can also cover things such as bad tyres, or getting caught talking into a mobile phone, so you’ve really got to watch yourself for 2 years because the authorities are right onto you.  The more self-righteously minded law abiding motorist makes what they think is a perfectly valid point that it’s easier to avoid this unfortunate situation by just obeying the damn law, but I take some issue with that. How many times do you try to keep to the limit, but then have your mind go into other things as you think about all the things that we all carry in your head, you realise you’ve now crept up to 35 in a 30 zone, and was that someone in a hi-vis jacket back there, too bad I was lost in my own thoughts there huh.

Lights are on green, the self-righteous will tell you you shouldn’t be going fast enough not to be able to stop when they go amber, because that’s when you should stop, so you don’t get that so-called “amber gamble” situation where you’ve got to think about whether you can get through or not or slow down, sometimes with a bit of a slam on I have to say. Sounds quite easy in theory, but so often I’ve found on a fairly fast road quite particularly, that you are one of many cars doing 50mph+ and lights in front of you suddenly go amber, if this is an unfamiliar area and you don’t think you’ve got time to stop, if you misjudge that you might end up with a second or two of the light actually going red before you even get to the line, if that happens and there is a camera, that is a 3 pointer and you all know all too well that you’re only allowed to get 6 of the things! So next time it really is game over!

New Drivers are out there gaining experience every time they drive, and are more likely to make silly mistakes, so I do wonder if it’s worth punishing people so severely with an actual loss of licence, if it’s targeted at boy racer types the irony usually is they tend to know exactly where all the cameras are, they’ve got it all sussed, they’ll speed if they want to and usually never get done for it, the more innocent ordinary driver tends to fall foul of something they don’t intend to and then gets kicked off the road to boot. And when they say 6 points they actually mean 2, there’s only a couple of offences listed that give 2 points and nothing at all as far as I can see that only gives 1, so the idea of giving 3 for the most standard offences such as speeding has to be to make them seem more psychologically serious.

It’s all behind me now as I write this having made the fateful 2 year anniversary of the driving test marking the end of the dreaded probationary period, I have the licence that my parents have, that entitles you to drive until you amass 12 points, but hopefully I can avoid that just as easily as I avoided the dreaded 6.


AJ.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still on probationary period as I passed on Feburary 26th 2013, so I have 9 more months to go.

    ReplyDelete